Friday, March 12, 2010

Spring fling.

  Isn't it amazing how a nice spring breeze can brighten everything?  Even though it's still a bit chilly out, we're finally getting sunshine and the trees are beginning to bud.  Which means spring planting season, already started with a new rose bush.  I went for one called Miranda/Mirandy (spelling depends on who's selling it I guess but it's the same rose), which should yield some really nice crimson red blooms.  Now if I can only find a few black rose bushes that aren't so far away I'd worry they'd arrive dead.  Our local florists look at me oddly when I ask if they have them, with the exception of Lowes.  I guess although not ideal for good roses they tried by getting some tea roses that were a brown red.  Cocoa something or other, I forget the name.
   With spring also comes new yarn lines.  Some are out already, while some are still forth coming.  And I noticed the majority are doing the same ol' same ol' you see every spring.  Which is pastel.   I mean no offense, but honestly pastel is done every spring, it's almost like ho hum.
   However there is one yarn line, (and this is one of the reasons I love this company so much), that is giving us color.  Not only bright, bold spring colors, but they're creating a new yarn line that takes shades of these colors, blending them in such a way that you're not looking at striped yarn.  Instead you're looking at yarns with a shade, highlight and main color all in one.  The company is Knit Picks, and they're calling the new line tonals.  It won't be limited to one type or weight, which is sweet.  And although it's all over their group over at Ravelry, and they've shared images on their knitting community blog, just in case you come across this blog and haven't seen them yet, I'll share the teaser pic with ya.


  Aren't those gorgeous?  If you look at the orangy pink one you'll notice how it blends from a yellowing up through pink to this nice shell pink shade.  And they're in bright easter egg spring shades, from light to dark, which I think is appealing to all crafting types.  This particular one is from the tonal sock yarn, but they've hinted it'll also be found in other weights.
   Their simply cotton line, which was a 100% organic cotton yarn in four natural shades ranging from marshmallow off white to a really pretty brown.  This year they're adding color to them.  I can't wait to see, and if I heard right they're also bringing it out in fingering weight.  I'd love to have cotton socks that fit in my shoes when the summer heat strikes us, that's for sure.
   And lastly what I'm really excited about almost as much as the tonals is their cotlin (a cotton/linen blend), which will also come in new bold shades from canary yellow to lilac, cerise red, bison brown, whisker grey and pistachio green.  Although from the image it doesn't look pistachio to me, but more like a sea green but we'll have to wait and see when they release them.

    The cute puppy is Xena, which belongs to Kelly I believe?  The owner of Knit Picks.  Hopefully she won't mind my slurping her picture.  To hear more about the KP yarns their link is over on the right hand side of my blog here.  Trust me, you won't be disappointed.  Just click Knitting Community on their main page for their daily news and information about the new yarns.  From what I know they're releasing them this April, which gives me maybe enough time to finish some of what's already on my needles.   I hope :/
   Ok I waxed on too long about KP's new yarns.  But as a fairly new knitter, crochet/tatter for much longer, the more bold colors are what I think of when I think of spring.  Sure pastels are pretty, but they look washed out to me.  In a way I've thought they'd be more suited to winter, when everything's white.  The pastels would add a little splash of color without overpowering the crystal white of winter.   But in spring flowers come in color, the grass (at least here) is turning a nice rich green, the sky no longer looks washed out but turns that beautiful robin's egg blue.
   I just can't imagine being inspired design wise by pastels.  Not in the spring leastwise.

No comments: